Ron Dawson is the founder of Dare Dreamer Media, a video production agency and a content marketing company in Seattle. Throughout the years, the company has done work for companies like Adobe and Apple and a number of non-profits. Ron also writes a popular film blog and has hosted a number of podcasts. His most recent show is Radio Film School, which he describes as a documentary-style filmmaking show that has a similar feel to This American Life.
In this episode, Ron shares some insights on
- How to keep dreams alive while paying the bills
- How to find new clients and get paid to do the work we enjoy
- Why being helpful is a competitive advantage and more
Since we did the interview shortly before this year’s Academy Awards, we also discuss the recent nominations and the #OscarsSoWhite controversy. After the interview, I give some concluding thoughts and share some of the aspects of the Oscar-nominated films that caught my attention.
Hear all that and more in this episode of The nsavides Podcast.
As some of you know, there is a certain tradition of publishing certain episodes on the 23rd of the month. The reasons for this will not be explained here. Sometimes references to the number will make it into the episode, but this episode is already long enough without that. Instead, we’ll share them here. This is the Oscar edition, so you get two, and they’re both movie related:
In the Maltese Falcon, there is a passing reference to a Greek dealer who rediscovers the once-lost statuette. The year of his discovery is 1923.
In A Curious Mind: The Secret to a Bigger Life, Brian Grazer tells the story of his first break in the entertainment industry. It involves hearing about a new opening through a conversation outside of an office window. In that same year, he began conducting curiosity conversations, something he attributes to his success. His age at the time: 23.
Listen to the Episode
- Follow Ron on Twitter: @DareDreamerFM
- Ron’s company, Dare Dreamer Media
- Ron’s podcast, Radio Film School. Hear more of Ron’s thoughts on Inside Out in this episode.
- Ron’s jazz documentary, ImprovJam: A Musical Convergence of Jazz, Rock & Rap
- Ron’s book, Refocus: Cutting-Edge Strategies to Evolve Your Video Business
- Ron and Patrick Moreau on Zacuto’s FilmFellas Episode 5
- Brian Grazer’s book, A Curious Mind: The Secret to a Bigger Life
- To hear interviews with some of the writers behind this year’s Oscar-nominated films check out the Q & A with Jeff Goldsmith podcast.
- The Hollywood Reporter Roundtables are another useful resource for learning more about the Oscar-nominated films. The cinematography one has lots of practical information, but it also hints at the egomaniacal side of the business. (I was a little sad to hear about how DP Robert Richardson made a choice to have a career instead of a personal life. It makes me wonder if it is possible to have a successful film career and strong personal relationships. I hope so.)
Sponsor for this episode
If You Liked the Show
- Sign up for The nsavides Newsletter.
Thank you for visiting!