Lane Mack has performed at SXSW and Jazz Fest, but to millions of viewers he is best known for appearing on NBC’s The Voice in 2016. Growing up in Lafayette, Louisiana, Lane was surrounded by a community of skilled musicians, including his uncle Roddie Romero, a Grammy-nominated zydeco artist, and the region has left its mark on Lane as he has refined his sound over the years.
His latest EP, Swampodisiac, made it to the #2 slot on the iTunes blues chart shortly after it was released on Sept. 19, 2017. As the title suggests, the EP is a swamp-infused concoction of unvarnished blues and rock ‘n’ roll.
- When to use one type of a guitar over another
- Finding the confidence to perform when millions are watching
- Developing a distinct style by building on artistic influences
- What’s it like playing at SXSW, Jazz Fest, and recording at a storied facility like Dockside Studio
- Being grounded in a sense of faith and family while navigating the ups and downs that come with doing creative work
Listen to the Episode
Sponsor for this Episode
Fable House and I are partnering together to produce distinguished music videos for bands with big visions who want to share their music with the world in memorable, imaginative, and soulful ways.
Based in Louisiana, Fable House is a production company that has produced millions of dollars worth of content. They have shot features for the SyFy channel, produced a number of polished music videos, and shot a short film that screened at the Cannes Film Festival.
Let’s discuss how we can help your music stand out: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lane on
- Show some love for Lane’s new EP, Swampodisiac, on iTunes
Bands & Recording Artists Mentioned
- B.B. King
- Bobby Schneck Jr.
- Eric Clapton
- Jeff Buckley
- Jimmie Vaughan, one of Lane’s influences
- Lane Mack
- Lenny Kravitz, a big influence for Lane
- Lightnin’ Hopkins, an influence for Lane’s song “Jesus’ cadillac”
- Los Lobos, helped influence the sound of Lane’s “Hell on My Backside”
- Marc Broussard
- Maegan Berard, the guitarist from Sweet Cecilia
- Miley Cyrus
- Roddie Romero, Lane’s Grammy-nominated uncle
- Ray Boudreaux
- Ryan Adams
- Sonny Landreth, another one of Lane’s influences
- Sophia Urista, she battled against Lane on The Voice
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
- Sweet Cecilia, an Americana band Lane has collaborated with
- Tom Petty
- Traveling Wilburys