Chris Hochkeppel recently graduated from college and is already making a living as a full-time musician. He’s the singer and guitarist for Burris and also hosts the singer-songwriter nights at Lava Cantina in Baton Rouge. Burris has done scaled-down acoustic shows, but at full-force the band is a seven-piece powerhouse that has a distinct rock sound with jazz and funk influences. In addition to guitar, drums, and bass, the band brings along a violin, saxophone, keyboard, and auxiliary percussion to their big shows, which makes for quite an energetic live performance.
In this podcast interview we discuss the inspiration behind Meant to Be, the new album from Burris. Some of the other topics we discuss include
- finding success by serving a community
- dealing with rejection
- how to be a good hang-out guy
- how to interact with fans in a way that connects
- finding purpose in the things we do
UPDATE: If you want to subscribe to just the music-related episodes of the podcast on iTunes, click the link below:
Listen to the Episode
- The singer-songwriter showcases in Baton Rouge
- Albums Chris mentioned
- Live at Radio City – by Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds, released on August 13, 2007 (As it happens, Dave makes reference to a traumatized Iraq veteran in that album, which relates to the last short film I directed.)
- Morning View by Incubus, released on October 23, 2001
- Musicians mentioned
- Ben Herrington plays the keys for Burris. He also plays accordion, piano, and trombone for Minos the Saint.
- Jordan Searcy was featured on the Voice in 2014. He recently played at Chris’s showcase.
- Kenny Acosta, another musician at Chris’s showcase, is a blues icon who has played with the likes of Muddy Waters, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Taj Mahal, and The Neville Brothers. Baton Rouge Mayor Kip Holden declared June 11 to be Kenny Acosta Day.
- Marc Broussard, the “Bayou Soul” singer-songweriter, is one of Chris’s musical influences.
- Matthew Schwartz of Pacifico has also been featured at the Lava Cantina showcase. He’s how I met Chris. This is the podcast interview I did with Matt.
Thanks to Ben Dye for letting us use his recording space for the interview.
Sponsor for this episode
Let’s talk about what we can do together. Email me: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If You Liked the Show
- Sign up for The nsavides Newsletter.
- Subscribe or comment:
- Say hello on Twitter: @nsavidesPRO