Producer Lindsay Doran won a Golden Globe for Sense and Sensibility, a film that she spent years trying to develop. Lindsay has an extensive background as a studio executive where she has overseen development on projects like This Is Spinal Tap, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, and Ghost. She was also the producer of one of my favorite films from the 21st century, Stranger Than Fiction. When not developing her own projects, Lindsay works as a script whisperer, doing secret consultation work on some of Hollywood’s biggest films.
Lindsay came on the show to share her story insights and her approach to creative collaborations. We discuss some of the key collaborative relationships in Lindsay’s career, including her work with Rob Reiner and Emma Thompson. Then we talk about developing Sense and Sensibility and Stranger Than Fiction. Towards the end of our Stranger Than Fiction discussion, Lindsay shares a passionate defense of movies with happy endings, explaining why they matter and are worthy of artistic acclaim.
Topics in Our Filmmaking Discussion Include
- Learning from audience feedback on Pretty in Pink
- How storytellers can have their cake and eat it too
- What Lindsay looks for in the stories she develops
- What characters should not say to each other in a well constructed story
- Working with Rob Reiner to develop This Is Spinal Tap and Stand by Me
- What to do when a filmmaker and a studio have different visions for a film
- Making a Jane Austen movie for people who think that Jane Austen’s books are stupid
- The kind of mentality that Lindsay wants to see in the writers and filmmakers with which she collaborates
- How screenwriter Zach Helm used music to set the mood for Stranger Than Fiction
- The transformative power of happy endings and positive outlooks
Listen to the Episode
- Lindsay’s TEDx Talk, Saving the World Vs Kissing the Girl
- Other podcast episodes with Lindsay
- Lindsay will be one of the panelists at Austin Film Festival 2017.
- Special edition of Sense and Sensibility
- Screenplay for Stranger Than Fiction
- Terry Gilliam’s dismissal of Spielberg’s films and happy endings. (I explain why I disagree in my concluding comments.)
- This episode is a sort-of continuation of last episode’s conversation on romantic comedies.
- Vote for The nsavides Podcast at the Podcast Awards.#
Films & TV Shows Mentioned
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
- Dead Again
Harry Potter series
- It’s a Wonderful Life
The Lego Movie
- Love & Friendship
Pretty in Pink
Sense and Sensibility
Silence of the Lambs
Stand by Me
Stranger Than Fiction
This is Spinal Tap
The Zero Theorem
- The Body by Stephen King
- Learned Optimism by Martin Seligman
- Persuasion by Jane Austen
- Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
- The Sense and Sensibility Screenplay & Diaries by Emma Thompson
- Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson
If You Liked the Show
- Sign up for The nsavides Newsletter.
- Subscribe or leave a friendly review:
- Say hello on Twitter: @nsavidesPRO
Thank you for visiting!